A first in Quebec, the pedagogical guide Transcending transphobia was produced jointly by GRIS-Montreal and the Conseil québécois LGBT. Available for free, this guide offers educational activities aimed at making young people aware of the realities experienced by trans and non-binary people. Available in English and French. Published in 2020 and updated in 2023.
TARGET AUDIENCE: educators at the secondary level
Based on the book Modèles recherchés – L’homosexualité et la bisexualité racontées autrement (Éditions Guy Sainte-Jean; only available in French), this teaching guide features a dozen classroom activities that can be implemented across eight different subjects. In addition, there are 15 testimonials taken from Modèles recherchés that include annotations to help educators as they work to raise awareness and engage students in discussions about diversity. Available in English and in French. Published in 2018.
A print version of the teaching guide is available for $24.99, as a pairing with Modèles recherchés for $44.95, or as a “Classroom” bundle that includes the guide and four books for $99.95. Delivery charges not included. The guide is also available in digital format for $19.95.
The english version is on sale solely at the GRIS-Montréal offices: email@example.com or 514-590-0016.
PUBLICATION DATE: 2017
TARGET AUDIENCE: general public
CONTENT: research report comparing the evolution of young people’s attitude towards sexual diversity from 2001 to 2012.
PARTNERS: CSQ, FAE, Coalition des familles LGBT
DATE OF PUBLICATION: 2017
TARGET AUDIENCE: school staff
– help school staff analyze their surroundings and ask themselves the right questions before they come to their colleagues or students.
– take stock of the research carried out on the coming-out in schools.
(Download in french only)
DATE OF PUBLICATION: 2016
TARGET AUDIENCE: primary school staff
– address the issues of homosexuality, bisexuality and sexual stereotyping with students from Kindergarten to Grade 6.
– combating bullying and homophobia in schools
CONTENT : twenty activities to carry out with students, information and vocabulary related to the reality of lesbian, gay, bisexual and trans* (LGBT) individuals
* You can also order a USB key by contacting GRIS-Montréal at 514 590-0016 or at firstname.lastname@example.org (limited quantities)
FULL TITLE: Modèles recherchés, l’homosexualité et la bisexualité racontées autrement
AUTHOR: Robert Pilon (intervenant et président du GRIS de 2003 à 2012)
DATE OF PUBLICATION: 2015
TARGET AUDIENCE: general public
– book written in honour of GRIS-Montreal’s 20th anniversary
– reducing homophobia by presenting gay, lesbian and bisexual role models
CONTENT: funny, touching, always captivating, this book collects testimony from GRIS volunteers and several public personalities of diverse sexual orientations (Jean-Philippe Dion, Xavier Dolan, Anne Dorval, Chantal Fontaine, etc.)
FOR SALE: in bookstores or at the GRIS-Montréal office
AUTHOR: Irène Demczuk (sociologist)
DATE OF PUBLICATION: 2011
TARGET AUDIENCE: peducational staff
– help staff pass along objective information about homosexuality
– fight against the devastating effects of homophobia that young people are victim of, particularly boys
– develop a comfort level for teachers to talk about homosexuality
CONTENT: series of pedagogical activities to carry out at the primary ad secondary level, an inventory of community resources, videos, books and films addressing the subject of homosexuality
This pedagogical guide received support from the ministère des Relations avec le citoyen et de l’Immigration.